Jenny wants us to tell our clinic family what made us go into the medical field, so, here is my story...
My cousin is an RN and always telling stories of things that happen at the hospital. It sparked my interest when I was little. I couldn't decide between a nurse or a teacher. I wanted to work with babies or kids. Then in high school, my dad took the EMT course and medicine was sparking my interest more, but still wasn't sure. Then I came to the old clinic and saw Dr. Dixon for a sinus infection and Jan checked me in. I remember telling my mom, " I could do that." My Senior year I took a CNA class. I loved learning about the body and how to care for patients. So, I went to ISU and was going to do the RN program. It took 1 semester for me to realized, I didn't like school and taking generals too much. So, in between classes I went to the computer lab and started looking at the College of Technology. I looked at the CMA and LPN programs. I wanted to be a "nurse" so I opted to try for the LPN program, it didn't take as long either!
I just had to be a CNA and take a test. Well, I was accepted. I loved the program because it was all classes related to nursing. I did quite a few rotations here at the clinic.
During the program, one of the girls in the program with me said I should have my brother call you. He lives in Seattle right now but he has a good job and no girlfriend. I said okay, my black book was overloaded with phone numbers. Long story short, 7 months later we were married. Jake was transferred to Salt Lake before we actually met. So, we bought a house in July and I was going to graduate in December. I finished my rotations in November and came back to Idaho for my classes. I got a job at Primary Children's that I could start as soon as I took my test. I could use a temporary licence since I was out of state. I was excited to work with kids but in January, the business Jake worked for closed his shop down. So, I had to quit Primary Children's before I even started. I faxed an application to Mountain River the middle of January and didn't hear anything back. We moved back to Blackfoot January 30. I picked up an application for the clinic on February 2nd. Judy called that afternoon. I interviewed with Judy on the 3rd and she gave me a job. She had me come to a lunch meeting that day, and I started working with Dr. Liles the next day. I always wanted to work with kids and babies, but my job ended up being with the elderly. Boy, did I love that.
I enjoy coming to work and visiting with patients. Sometimes there are some mean/crazy people but for the most part, if you are nice to them, they are nice to you. I have been here almost 5 years, a little less than Jenny, and have worked with Dr. Liles, Dr. Polson, and then went part time. I think I have worked with everyone now. I love working here at the clinic and with all of you.
It's your turn to share your story with us...
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment